Investments in the energy turnaround
Sustainability makes key contribution to value creation
Our Group’s earnings and financial strength provide the economic foundation enabling us to do justice to our social and ecological responsibilities.
We are major economic players in our core regions – as clients for industry, trade companies and service providers, as employers, as sponsors to cultural, social, sports and ecological projects and as payers of taxes and duties. Large numbers of jobs are directly or indirectly dependent on our companies.
Others talk about the energy turnaround. We make it happen.
We will deliberately be maintaining the high pace of investment seen in recent years in future as well. In the years ahead, we will invest a further Euro 3 billion in the energy system of the future.
Our largest investment projects in the past years include:
- Connecting our Energy from Waste CHP facility at Friesenheimer Insel to the district heating grid in Mannheim
- Acquiring a 63.1% stake in Juwi AG
- Acquiring a 100% stake in Windwärts Energie GmbH,
- Acquiring and operating an existing Energy from Waste facility in Dundee (UK) and constructing a new, highly modern replacement directly adjacent
- Acquiring a biomass fermentation facility in Dresden
- Expanding and increasing the density of our district heating grids.
Generation and Infrastructure
By investing in existing and new green generation plants, we have significantly increased our energy generation capacity in recent years to a current 512 MWel.
In the 2020 financial year, electricity generation at renewable energies plants accounted for a 46 percent share of our total electricity generation volumes. Renewable power generation increased by 11 percent to over 1.2 billion kilowatt hours, while direct CO2 emissions were reduced by 7 percent.